John C. Malone Assistant Professor
Professor Kimia Ghobadi's Lab
John C. Malone Assistant Professor
I am the Johns C. Malone Assistant Professor in Civil and Systems Engineering at Johns Hopkins University. I am a member of Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) and the Malone Center for Engineering in Healthcare. My main research interest is developing data-driven optimization frameworks for healthcare applications. Many of my projects are in collaborations with healthcare entities, including the Johns Hopkins Hospital. Prior to joining JHU, I obtained my PhD in Industrial Engineering at the University of Toronto (collaborating with the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre) and was a post-doctoral fellow at the MIT Sloan School of Management in collaboration with the Massachusetts General Hospital.
My research is inspired by data-driven applications of operations research. I am interested in both developing theory and empirical work. My recent work has focused on optimization models and algorithms with healthcare applications.
Research Interest Topics
Data-driven operational research, Healthcare, Data analytics, Optimization techniques (inverse optimization, integer programming), Algorithms (approximation, heuristic, deterministic)
Select Research Projects
- Farzin Ahmadi, PhD Candidate, 2019-present
- Fardin Ganjkhanloo, PhD Candidate, 2019-present
- Wenyi Wang, Undergraduate Senior, 2019-present
- Simon Guo, Undergraduate Junior, 2020-present
- Mike Young, Undergraduate Senior, 2020-present
- ‘‘Advanced Topics in Optimization” (EN.560.645)
Civil and Systems Engineering Department, Fall 2019
- ‘‘Operations Research” (EN.560.450, EN.560.650)
Civil and Systems Engineering Department, Spring 2019 Spring 2020
- “Integer Programming” (MIE1603)
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Department, University of Toronto, 2014
- “Advanced Operations Research” (MIE365), co-instructor Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Department, University of Toronto, 2011
K. Ghobadi and D. Terekhov. Daria’s and Kimia’s Adventures in Teachingland, University of Toronto Operations Research Group (UTORG), Toronto, ON, June 2014.
Awards and Honors
- John C. Malone Assistant Professorship, 2019.
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada Post-Doctoral Fellowship (NSERC PDF), 2015-2016
- INFORMS Judith Liebman Award for Outstanding Student Volunteer Work at University of Toronto Student Chapter, INFROMS San Francisco, 2014
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada Postgraduate Scholarships (NSERC PGS-D), 2012-2013
- First place in poster competition, OCAIRO category, 11th Imaging Network Ontario (ImNO) Symposium, Toronto, ON, Provincial Competition, 2013
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS), 2011
- Mart Liinve Graduate Scholarship, Ontario Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology (OGSST), 2010
- Shared Hierarchical Academic Research Computing Network (SHARCNET) Graduate Fellowship, South Ontario Super-Computer Cluster, 2008
- First place as a team at the first CORS/VISUAL8 Student Simulation Competition, CORS Annual Meeting, London, ON, International Competition, 2007
- First place as a team at the first International Operations Research Case Competition (IORCC), Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, BC, 2007
- K.Ghobadi, T. Lee, H. Mahmoudzadeh and D. Terekhov. Robust inverse optimization, Operations Research Letters (OR Letters), 46(3):339-344, May 2018.
- D. Ripsman, D. M. Aleman and K. Ghobadi. Interactive visual guidance for automated stereotactic radiosurgery treatment planning, Journal of Expert Systems with Applications, 42(21):8337-8348, August 2015.
- E. Doudareva, K. Ghobadi, D. M. Aleman, M. Ruschin and D. A. Jaffray. Skeletonization for isocentre selection in Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion, TOP Journal, 23(2):369-385, June 2015.
- K. Ghobadi, H. R. Ghaffari, D. M. Aleman, M. Ruschin and D. A. Jaffray. Automated treatment planning for a dedicated multi-source intra-cranial radiosurgery treatment unit accounting for overlapping structures and dose homogeneity, Journal of Medical Physics, 40(9):091715, 2013.
- K. Ghobadi, H. R. Ghaffari, D. M. Aleman, D. A. Jaffray and M. Ruschin. Automated treatment planning for a dedicated multi-source intra-cranial radiosurgery treatment unit using projected gradient and grassfire algorithms, Journal of Medical Physics, 39(6):3134-3142, 2012.
Refereed Proceedings and Abstracts
- K. Ghobadi, D. M. Aleman, D. A. Jaffray and M. Ruschin. “Linear Model for Continuous Path Treatments for Stereotactic Radiosurgery”, Proceedings of the Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Annual Conference (ISERC), 2013.
- K. Ghobadi, D. M. Aleman, D. A. Jaffray and M. Ruschin. Continuous path radiation therapy treatment planning for Gamma Knife Perfexion, Journal of Medical Physics, 40:517, 2013.
- K. Ghobadi, H. R. Ghaffari, D. M. Aleman, D. A. Jaffray and M. Ruschin. Automated inverse planning optimization approach for single-fraction and fractionated radiosurgery using Gamma Knife Perfexion, Journal of Medical Physics, 39(6):3610, 2012.
- H. R. Ghaffari, K. Ghobadi, D. M. Aleman, M. Ruschin and D. A. Jaffray. Automated optimization of treatment plans for a dedicated stereotactic radiotherapy device using intelligent isocentre selection and penalty-based weight optimization, Journal of Medical Physics, 38(6):3866, 2011.
Non-refereed Journal Publications and Technical Reports
- K. Ghobadi and H. Mahmoudzadeh. Multi-point Inverse Optimization of Constraint Parameters, Arxiv, 2020 https://arxiv.org/pdf/2001.00143.pdf
- K. Ghobadi, A.C. Zenteno, A. Marshall, P.F. Dunn, R. Levi and J.H. Stone. Translating a biologic revolution into an organizational overhaul, New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) Catalyst, October 2016.
- K. Ghobadi, N. Nedialkov and T. Terlaky. On the discretize-then-optimize approach, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Lehigh University, PA 09T-005.
Selected Recent Invited Presentations
- K. Ghobadi, S. Siddiqui, S. Levin, “Hospital Staffing under Workload Uncertainty”, POMS 2019, INFORMS/IFORS 2019, INFORMS Healthcare 2019
- K. Ghobadi, H. Mahmoudzadeh, “Inverse Optimization with Unknown Constraints”, INFORMS/IFORS 2019, INFORMS Healthcare 2019
- K. Ghobadi, A. Johnston, R. Levi, R. Berube, P. F. Dunn and W. O’Donnell, “Staffing Rotation Effects on Patients Length of Stay”, MSOM 2017, Informs 2017, Elekta 2018, POMS 2019
- K. Ghobadi, M. Hu, R. Levi, A. Marshall, W. Rieb, I. Lennes, J. Stone and C. Zenteno, “Online Scheduling Algorithms for Infusion Outpatients”, Informs 2019, Informs Health Care 2019, POMS 2019, Elekta 2018
- K. Ghobadi, T. Lee, H. Mahmoudzadeh and D. Terekhov, “Robust Inverse Optimization”, Informs 2017, CORS 2017
- K. Ghobadi, D. M. Aleman, M. Ruschin and D. A. Jaffray, “Continuous Path Dose Delivery with Gamma Knife Perfexion”, Infroms 2015, AAPM 2015, Elekta 2018